Next Generation Data Scientist Award
Deadline: 31 August 2021
The IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA) will offer a limited number (or none) of NGDS Awards every year to early‐career researchers (ECR) who have got PhD degrees within five years in data science. The NGDS Award has been the first and only global initiative to support the production and certification of qualified next‐generation data scientists. The NGDS awards will be sponsored by some of the DSAA sponsors. Each NGDS awardee will receive USD 1,000.
One of the critical challenges facing the era of data science lies in the significant gap between the increasing data scientist job demand and the limited availability of qualified data scientists. The purpose of offering this NGDS award is to encourage young talents to conduct significant foundational research and applied innovation in Data Science toward a profound and world-standard level.
All ECRs with the papers accepted at previous and current DSAA conferences are invited to apply, although the awards open to all applicants in data science.
Selection Criteria of NGDS
The DSAA steering committee sets up the NGDS Award to be highly prestigious and selective. Hence, the criteria for NGDS candidate selection are rigorous. This may involve the following aspects:
- PhD qualification in data science including statistics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and other related fields;
- A strong track record in terms of theoretical contributions, business impact and/or educational contributions, which are quantifiable and outstanding;
- A reachable five-year career plan for significantly contributing to the data science community in terms of research, innovation, applications and/or education;
- Strong referee reports from two recognized data scientists;
- Strong recommendation from the candidate’s department or supervisor.
How to Submit An NGDS Award Application?
The deadline for applications is 31 August 2021. Applicants are encouraged to attend IEEE DSAA’2021 which will be held on 6-9 Oct 2021 in Porto, Portugal.
An NGDS award candidate should submit an application to the NGDS award chairs, which includes:
- NGDS Award Application Form (download the NGDS application form from here) to address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicant information;
- Response to the above selection criteria;
- Title, authors and track record of DSAA publications and attendance;
- Resume with affiliation, education background, publications, projects, cases of impact, awards etc.;
- Certificate showing staff ID and working status;
- Two referee reports with referee’s contact details and signatures;
- A recommendation letter from head of department or supervisor on the organization letterhead.
All application materials should be zipped into a file titled “2021_NGDS_Applicant Last Name_ First Name.zip” and submitted to email@example.com. Successful candidates must register and attend DSAA’2021, otherwise, the award may be given to other candidates in the shortlist list per the selection committee’s decision.
An announcement of the final winner will be made in the DSAA’2021 conference banquet.
All documents should be in PDF and attached to the email. Late submissions, or documents in other formats will not be accepted.